I'm a Wanker Too


I loved the title to this book. That is why I picked it up, why I continued reading it, and probably why I actually finished it. For me the title sounds like a manifesto I can rally behind.

Only the first chapter or so deals with this theory (the "wankers" one), the rest talks more about venturing into business when you're fresh out of school. Over all it seemed to have a bias towards the product designer who wants to be self-employed. Not that this is a bad thing to focus on, I just wish they had a broader scope of things. I think in the beginning it was a bit misleading because it discussed how as a design student you should transfer into the real world upon graduation....if you are wanting to solely be a self-promoting product designer that is.

I read practically all of it, sans a chapter or so on finding adventure capitalists. The things I enjoyed most were probably the interviews in the back of the book. I found it interesting to read the various designers' opinions on the young designers today.

So, in short, this is going on the book shelf where I'm proud to have it. Will I re-read it? Most definitely, but probably not until my senior year. Overall it was rather vague on some points, but then again it's not like these things have direct answers that apply to everyone. It is mostly a book generally guiding one in a good direction and bringing up questions you need to ask yourself along the way.


2 comments:

  1. Kiriska said...

    I think you're waiting far too long if you're not going entering the "real world" until graduation. That isn't something that should be a sudden change -- all the years of college should be a slow integration and gradual shift. Sure, it's preparation, but you're still going to be in trouble if you haven't at least dabbled in the corporate market while you're in school.

    That's one of the reasons I think the Internet is such a vital tool and that no design or art student should be without a personal website or portfolio, especially if they're seeking to freelance/be self-employed/self-promoting.  

  2. Flowers said...

    great title!!!!  


 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by Portfolio modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Flickr.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.