Soft Things









Well now that I have a moment to myself I wanted to add the actual words to this post (I posted quickly so a friend could see the photos before she left).

The alpacas at the top was my first Color Theory project. The guidelines were to create two identically objects, one showing discordant (clashing) colors and the other harmonious colors. It's a fairly interpretive project, but I hope most people can see which is which with mine. (hint: saturated turquoise and yellow do not go well on an alpaca). Part of the guidelines was also to try something new or to branch out in our major or interest. I'm doing a minor in Fibers, so I wanted to do something along those lines. Unfortunately I know nothing about sewing/knitting/crocheting so my options were rather limited. I had previously done little pieces with felt needling (palm sized), but had never approached anything bigger requiring a metal frame. Well, that was my undertaking and while it took many many hours, I feel I still learned and improved my skill on it.

The elephants (I think of them as oilephants) were for my second Color Theory project. Again, two of the same things. This time one had to demonstrate light (tints) colors and the other dark (shades). The selection of fabric is deplorable in this town (as any Fashion major will tell you), so I was challenged just by finding my materials. I didn't want to use black, which caused some difficulty as that's the about the only consistent dark fabric around here. But I'm happy with what I did find and how I incorporated it. The two things I gained was the experience of finding different fabrics, and learning to sew! I've never done it before so it was quite an experience. My roommate showed me how to work the machines down at the Fashion building, so part of the softies were made there and part were sewn by hand. The craftsmanship isn't where I'd like it to be, but I think for a first try it was good. The pattern I used was drawn out myself, but referenced from a book. I think i modified it enough though to be considered my own. Regardless, I'm not selling them that's for sure. The dark one is going to a class mate, and the light one is reserved for my mum.

Wow, that was long.
Toodles

And to the couple of commenters I found:
I am floored! Thank you! I don't know how you found me at all really, this was just something I started to keep in touch with a few friends.

5 comments:

  1. sujen said...

    I LOVE those alpacas! *attacks*
    Their ears and eyes are so cute.
    And the pink elephant rocks my socks with the different textures.
    GREAT WORK!
    you'd better start that shop up soon girlie!  

  2. ~Max said...

    those are great! visit my blog!  

  3. Wendy said...

    Awesome work. Good for you learning to sew. It's a great tool for sculpting critters and more. Let those creative juice flow! You are blessed to be in such a beautiful part of the USA studying. My hubby and I visited Savannah a couple years ago and ate at the diner car on that campus. Enjoy the whole school experience!  

  4. Kiriska said...

    Aw, man. Those look fantastic. Looking at the display of the Color Theory projects out in the hall makes me SO SO SO VERY SAD SHE IS NOT MY PROFESSOR. God. Our projects seem like stupid fifth grader's projects in comparison.

    Also, since you've looked around -- what are the fabric stores you've been to? I need to start finding materials to make my cosplay with since I'm going to Momocon. Will also probably need someone to show me around the Fashion building and how the machines work. My only aversion to it was the fact that I'd never been there and because it isn't within walkable distance. :/  

  5. Sarah A said...

    kiriska- hey! the only fabric store in town is Fabrika, and the selection there is still small. it's on oglethorpe and...uh...that street that also crosses the library. basically it's the square behind the library. tiny store. if you can get a ride there's jo-ann's on abercorn (it's next to the toys-r-us outlet).

    i'm actually pretty free this weekend so i could show you how to work the machines! just make sure to buy a bobbin, bobbin case, and thread spindle if you don't already have them. or you could borrow mine as long as you give them back. :3  


 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by Portfolio modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Flickr.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.